Platform: GoTo Training
Validated for 2 CPD Points CESA-1586-05/2022
HKA Training is proud to present our Contract Law seminar. Whether you are a contractor, project manager, employer, developer, subcontractor or administrator you work with construction contracts. But how many people have training in contract law?
How many understand the contractual implications of their decisions? How often are rights given away just because people don’t understand their contracts? Can you honestly say that you have never found yourself on shaky legal ground?
Everyone in the construction industry is involved with contracts but relatively few are familiar with contract law. Whether you are an experienced contract manager or a subcontractor new to the industry you should be keeping abreast of contract law. If you don’t know your contracts you risk losing competitive edge.
HKA’s 2016 Contract Law seminar is a good basic introductory course for those involved in drafting and working with contracts. It deals generically with the law of contract and does not focus on any standard-form construction contract.
The seminar has been designed to provide:
- essential information on contractual matters for the construction industry
- an update and refresher for those who have attended previous courses
- up-to-date, topical information for those who have not attended previous courses
- an overview of those provisions of the Consumer Protection Act which affect contractors and profesionals
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This course has been designed so as to be suitable for those who have had little exposure to construction cases as well as those who are experienced in construction law. It is suitable for all players in the construction industry and for lawyers wishing to gain a greater understanding of construction law.
This seminar provides essential fundamental principles of contract as well as updates on recent developments in contract law. Delegates should achieve:
- An appreciation of the importance of reading, understanding and applying their contract
- An understanding of the common law background to construction contracts
- An awareness of common misconceptions around contract law
- Practical skills in assessing contractual risk and applying this to their contracts
- An appreciation of the importance of contractual provisions to the success of a project
- An understanding of the process of forming contracts
- An understanding of the risks involved when tendering, dealing with letters of intent and starting work without agreement on all issues
- An enhanced ability to foresee and avoid problems when tendering or awarding contracts
- An awareness of common misconceptions around the concept of fairness
- The importance of devising customised remedies for breach of contract
- An understanding of the principles relating to damages including penalties and liquidated damages
- Practical skills when dealing with time-bars
- An overview of those provisions of the Consumer Protection Act which affect contractors and professionals