Platform: GoTo Training
THIS EVENT IS FULLY BOOKED. PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER DATE OR COURSE FROM OUR UPCOMING EVENTS.
Validated for 2 CPD Points CESA-1565-04/2022
Co-validated for SACPCMP/CPD/16/041
Whether you are a contractor, project manager, employer, developer, subcontractor or administrator, you work with construction contracts. But how many members of such teams have training in contract law? How many understand the contractual implications of their decisions? How often are rights given away just because people don’t understand their contracts?
Can you honestly say that you have never found yourself on shaky legal ground?
Almost everyone in the construction industry is involved with contracts, but relatively few are familiar with contract law. Whether you are an experienced contract manager or a subcontractor new to the industry, you should be keeping abreast of contract law. If you don’t know your contracts, you risk losing your competitive edge.
HKA’s Contract Law seminar is an essential basic introductory course for those involved in drafting and working with contracts, which deals generically with the law of contract.
The seminar has been designed to provide:
- Essential Information on Contractual Matters for the Construction Industry
- An update and Refresher for those who have attended Previous Courses
- Up-to-date, Topical Information for those who have not attended Previous Courses
- An overview of the Provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, which affect Contractors and Employers
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
- This course has been designed to suit those who have had little exposure to construction cases, as well as those who are experienced in construction law
- It is suitable for all types of Management Roles in the Construction Industry
- Lawyers wishing to gain a greater understanding of Construction Law
This seminar provides essential fundamental principles of contract as well as updates on recent developments in contract law. Delegates should achieve:
- An appreciation of the importance of reading, understanding and applying their contracts
- An understanding of the common law and statutory law background to contracts
- An awareness of common misconceptions around Contract Law
- Practical skills in assessing contractual risks and applying this to their contracts
- An appreciation of the importance of contractual provisions to the success of a project
- An understanding of the risks involved with letters of intent and starting work without agreement on all issues
- An ability to foresee and avoid problems when tendering or awarding contracts
- An awareness of common misconceptions around the concept of fairness
- An understanding of the basic requirements for a valid contract
- An appreciation of the importance of devising customized remedies for breach of contract
- An understanding of the principles relating to breach of contract and the remedies, therefore, including damages, liquidated damages and penalties
- An understanding of the implications of timebars
- An overview of those provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, which affects contractors and employers